The Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment program (BTSA) is a state funded initiative to provide formative assessment and individualized support for beginning teachers throughout California. BTSA is co-administered by the Department of Education and the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Each eligible beginning teacher is matched with a trained and qualified support provider Newark Unified School District serves as the lead agency for the East Bay BTSA Induction Consortium. The consortium includes beginning teachers and their support providers from Berkeley, Alameda, Newark, San Leandro and San Lorenzo Unified School Districts, Kipp Academy and FAME Charter. These support providers assist beginning teachers in collecting and interpreting evidence of teaching performance, in reflecting on their teaching, and in carefully identifying meaningful professional development activities that are targeted to their individual needs. BTSA is open to teachers in their first or second year of credentialed teaching. Teachers who have received a new preliminary credential under SB 2042 legislation may use their participation and completion of the 2-year BTSA Induction program to clear their credential. Some of the purposes of BTSA are to:
- Improve the educational performance of students through improved training, information, and assistance for new teachers
- Enable teachers to be effective in teaching students who are culturally, linguistically, and academically diverse
- Ensure the professional success and retention of new teachers
- Establish an effective, coherent system of performance assessments that are based on the California Standards for the Teaching Profession
- Ensure that a support provider provides intensive individualized support and assistance to each participating beginning teacher
- Examine alternative ways in which the general public and the education profession may be assured that new teachers who remain in teaching have attained acceptable levels of professional confidence.
The BTSA program in Newark Unified School District and throughout the East Bay BTSA Consortium is committed to serving our beginning teachers with a quality support and assessment program, and ensuring continuous program improvement through ongoing research, development, and program evaluation. For additional information on Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment, contact: http://www.btsa.ca.gov/BTSA