Welcome to the Newark Unified School District
The learning community of Newark Unified School District is committed to the academic success and social development of all students. Our mission is to empower students in becoming lifelong learners who possess the skills, ethics and creativity to reach their full potential as contributing, productive, responsible citizens. In partnership with the community, we provide an education that develops the unique abilities of every student.
The purpose of our Guide for Parents/Guardians and Students is to clearly identify programs, procedures and uniform standards of behavior and expectations, which have been established by the policies of the Newark Unified School District Board of Education in accordance with the California State Education Code on student responsibilities, rules and notification to parents/guardians.
This handbook describes the rights and responsibilities of individuals which contributes to good conduct and helps to ensure a safe, secure and attractive learning environment. It also describes the various consequences for violating the standards of behavior and provides information on policy statements setting forth the student’s responsibility for his/her own acceptable behavior and attendance.
Parents/Guardians are encouraged to keep in constant communication with their child’s school. This often prevents misunderstandings, disciplinary actions and other difficulties. Below are some ways you can become an active and important partner with the school:
- Attend Back to School and Open House nights and all scheduled parent/guardian/teacher conferences.
- Request a conference with your child’s teacher as needed. Make sure you review your child’s progress report and report card at regular intervals. If you do not receive a report card, please contact your child’s teacher.
- If you have concerns regarding your child’s attendance, call the school to request an attendance report. Daily or weekly progress reports are also available on request.
- Don’t hesitate to call an administrator at the school with any questions or concerns regarding school policy or practices.
- Join hands with school staff to assure that your child displays the highest level of character by showing respect for herself or himself, other individuals and school property.
Working together, we can help every student achieve his or her greatest potential and continue to build an outstanding school district that provides students a safe place to gain an excellent education while encircled by parents/guardians, school staff and a community that care deeply about their futures.