You are invited to attend Board of Education meetings and take an active role in the education provided by the school district. We appreciate your interest and participation. Your viewpoint is important in keeping our public schools responsive to the needs of the community. We also encourage you to visit any one of the Newark Unified School District schools.
Your Board and how it functions
Five Newark citizens are elected to serve overlapping terms. They are elected at-large by the registered voters in Newark. The Board functions as the legislative body of the school district and establishes policies by which the school district is operated. Programs and policies are governed according to laws and regulations as set by the Constitution of the State of California, State Education Code and California Administrative Code, Title 5. Board members can be contacted via e-mail or mail addressed to them c/o NUSD, 5715 Musick Ave., Newark, CA 94560.
|Ray J. Rodriguez||President||Term Ends: 2016|
|Tom Huynh||Board Member / Clerk||Term Ends: 2018|
|Nancy Thomas||Board Member||Term Ends: 2018|
|Francisco Preciado||Board Member||Term Ends: 2016|
|Jan Crocker||Board Member||Term Ends: 2016|
Assistance will be provided to those requiring accommodations for disabilities in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Interested persons must request accommodations at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting by contracting the Superintendent’s Office at (510) 818-4112
The Board shall hold regular meetings each month on Tuesdays at 7:00 p.m. at the District Office according to the posted schedule. Closed sessions will begin anytime between 5:00 and 7:00 p.m. (Newark Unified School District Office, 5715 Musick Avenue)
- Notices of all meetings, both regular and special, are posted at the District Office, 5715 Musick Ave., in advance of the meetings.
- All meetings are open to the public with the exception of “Closed Sessions,” which may be held to discuss confidential personnel matters, matters pertaining to an individual student, labor negotiations and legal matters.
- Board meetings are televised live on the local cable channel, as well as U-stream and will be posted on the district website within a week following the regular public meeting.
- Special meetings are open to the public; however, only business for which the meeting was called can be discussed.
- Adjournment time will be no later than 10:00 p.m. for all regular and special meetings unless extended to a specific time as determined by a majority of the Board.
- For accuracy, all regular meetings of the Board of Education are video recorded.
Addressing the Board
- Each speaker wishing to address the Board is asked to fill out a speaker card.
- Speaker cards are available at the meeting on the back table and must be submitted to the Executive Assistant prior to the beginning of the meeting. If arriving late, please fill out a card upon arrival.
- Speakers are limited to three minutes each.
- Each person may only speak once on a topic. If there are more speakers than time allows, remaining speakers may be heard at a public comment period at the end of the meeting.
- Individuals may address the Board of Education concerning school business not on the agenda, but public comment cannot be acted upon or discussed by the Board unless placed on an agenda at a subsequent meeting, in accordance with the law (Brown Act).
- The Board may request staff to respond orally at the meeting or in writing at a future time.
placing an item on the agenda
Requests for an item to be placed on the agenda shall be in writing and submitted to the Superintendent or designee with supporting documents and information, if any, at least two weeks before the scheduled meeting date. The Superintendent determines whether the request is or is not within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Board and will determine whether the agenda item is appropriate for discussion in open session or closed session of the Board.
- Members of the public may request that items be placed on the agenda of a future regular Board meeting.
- The items must be directly related to school district business.
- The request must be made in writing and be submitted to the Superintendent with supporting documents, if any.
- The Superintendent shall be the sole judge of whether the request is or is not within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Board and will determine whether the agenda item request is appropriate for discussion in an open session or closed session.
- All items placed on the agenda by the public will be for information and discussion so that the Board may be advised of the views of the community.
Regular Board agendas are posted for inspection at least 72 hours in advance of the meeting at the District Office, 5715 Musick Ave, Newark. The public may also inspect non-confidential documents distributed to the Board less than 72 hours before the meeting at this same location or on the District Website at http://www.newarkunified.org/ and select Board Agendas/Minutes